karinerussell1

Man Love Box Set
Leigh Foxlee, C.J. Sneere
You Loved Me At My Ugliest
Evie Harper

Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)

Casino Royale (James Bond, #1) - Ian Fleming "Above all, he liked that everything was one's own fault. There was only oneself to praise or blame. Luck was a servant and not a master. Luck had to be accepted with a shrug or taken advantage of up to the hilt. But it had to be understood and recognized for what it was and not confused with a faulty appreciation of the odds, for, at gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck. And luck in all its moods had to be loved and not feared. Bond saw luck as a woman, to be softly wooed or brutally ravaged, never pandered to or pursued. But he was honest enough to admit that he had never yet been made to suffer by cards or by women."

I have been a fan of the movies for a long time now and have always wanted to get around to reading the books. I was not at all disappointed either, which is saying something since I know the movies and books are very different in some areas.

Casino Royale is Bonds' first mission after gaining his Double-O status. There are the good guys and the bad and everyone else questioning which side they really belong to. It may be a little hard to following is some areas where the characters are talking about which agency they work for and who the double agents are. Once the characters have been developed everything else just falls into place.

I think the biggest shock for me was how different Bond is compared to what is portrayed in the movies. In the movies, he gets the jobs done and get the girl (Oh Bond!). Whereas the books, he is self centered, the best gambler in the service and so focused on the job that women really are just an afterthought.

For those that have seen the movie, the torture scene really is on the book and it is still as unpleasant to read it, as it was watching it.

An enjoyable first novel and I will be sure to read the rest of the series now that I have dipped my toe in.